The ridge to the southwest of the Temple Mount in Jerusalem overlooking the Jordan Valley and Dead Sea was chosen in 1930 by the British as site for the “Palatial Residence” of the British High Commissioner. The gardens which extended from the grounds to the east were magnificent combining English rockery garden style with a touch of Byzantine and Islamic eclecticism.
As a natural extension of the Haas and Sherover promenades designed respectively by Lawrence Halprin and Shlomo Aronson, the new Rhoda Goldman Promenade is a collaboration with Lawrence Halprin as lead designer and our firm as collaborator and local architects in charge.
The design begins with a water source which demarcates the beginning of the new promenade as well as marking the shaft of the Roman tunnel which passes through the ridge which had brought life giving water from the Judean Hills to the ancient city. The stonework begins as formal dressed walls of Jerusalem Limestone but as the path moves south towards the desert, the formality breaks down into rough ax-faced stone walls, dry lain , traditional used by the Fallahein farmers of the Jerusalem Hills. The path moves in the shadows of the seventy year old Jerusalem Pine forest, reaching a two leveled “Belvedere” , passing a Hasmonian burial cave, and passing a saddle in the topography where a “Bustan” garden with flint outcroppings is to be reclamated.
The path continues to the south and culminates in a small natural stone and boulder amphitheater which has magic views of the historic Temple Mount , and the Dead Sea and mountains of Edom
across the Jordan to the East.